Monday, September 19, 2016


First member of the British Royal Family
comes out as gay


Lord Ivar Mountbatten (left) with James Coyle outside Bridwell Park

Lord Ivar Mountbatten, the Queen’s cousin, has opened up for the first time about his sexuality and how he found love following his divorce.
The great-great-great- grandson of Queen Victoria, Lord Ivar Mountbatten, has made Royal history this weekend after coming out as gay. He is at present the most senior aristocrat of his generation, and the first in the extended Royal Family, to come out openly as gay.
Lord Mountbatten told the Mail on Sunday of his long-term relationship with James Coyle, an airline cabin services director, and the happiness he has found over the past year.
“Being a Mountbatten was never the problem,” he told the paper, “It was the generation into which I was born. When I was growing up, it was known as ‘the love that dare not speak its name’, but what’s amazing now is how far we have all come in terms of acceptance.”
He also told the Mail on Sunday that his former wife Penny, whom he divorced in 2011, and his three daughters have been incredibly supportive of the revelation.
“‘Coming out’ is such a funny phrase but it’s what I suppose I did in a rather roundabout way, emerging to a place I’m happy to be,” he explained. “I have struggled with my sexuality and in some ways I still do; it has been a real journey to reach this point.
“I was driven into the closet by not wanting to come to terms with who I was and facing friends and family in the early years. I buried it. I even had girlfriends as I tried to work out what I wanted to be.
“It was not an easy time in my teens or twenties. I’m just so pleased now to have found someone who I am happy to call my partner.”
Ivar and his boyfriend James met by chance at a Swiss resort in March last year, when James mistook him for a guide he once knew. He shouted “Hello” to Ivar across the bar and that chance encounter lead to them dating.
Lord Mountbatten confessed to the paper that despite now being out and open about his sexuality, he still doesn’t feel entirely at ease with being gay. “I am a lot happier now, though I am still not 100% comfortable with being gay,” he told the Mail on Sunday.
Source: Gay Times, Josh Withey, Sept. 19, 2016

2 comments:

JiEL said...

O my gwad!

Good news in dead.
The Royal Family is getting better and better and is showing the lead as a XXI's century modern way of living.

At 53yo, he is doing a big step to come out now.

God(michet) save the Queen(S)...

another country said...

Mine de rien, c'est une très bonne nouvelle, qui fait bouger les lignes et qui ringardise pas mal de comportements (je pense notamment à l'Australie et son "référendum" et à la Roumanie dont la Cour suprême s'apprête à rendre son verdict sur la constitutionnalité du mariage gay)... It gets better.